Keystone youth programs offer a variety of ways for youth to build social and emotional skills, explore personal interests and learn about being a part of a community. If you stop by a Keystone youth program during one of our many engaging enrichment activities, you’ll see a mix of laughter, challenge, focus, self-expression and teamwork. Keystone staff believe these activities are critical to helping young people explore interests, develop self-confidence, build healthy relationships, learn about their community and plan for the future.
Discovery is Important for Development
Best Buy Teen Tech Center
Offering Access to Technology
Keystone’s Best Buy Teen Tech Center is a modern, technology-driven space for youth aged 14 to 18. Located in the Lexington-Hamline neighborhood, this after-school center allows teens to work on projects they are passionate about, allowing them to learn valuable skills from both fellow youth and adult mentors in the process. Keystone is proud to have a Best Buy Teen Tech Center, a member of the Clubhouse Network, a collaboration with the MIT Media Lab.
Technology and programming offered:
- Audio recording and production in a state-of-the-art music studio
- Coding and computer programming
- Photography and videography
- 3D printing
- Adobe Creative Suite featuring Photoshop, Premier Pro, Illustrator, Acrobat, and more
- Robotics and circuitry
- Graphic design
Helping Youth Prepare for the Future
Programming offered at Keystone’s Best Buy Teen Tech Center gives young people the chance to develop passions and practice skills that will prepare them for post-secondary education and/or employment in a many different areas that are essential parts of a modern society, such as IT, design, and video/audio production.
Teens interested in becoming members of the Teen Tech Center are able to sign themselves up by filling out a short form when visiting the center. Stop by and check it out!
Location: 1150 Selby Avenue, St. Paul, MN 55104
Program Hours: Monday – Friday, 2:00 – 7:00 p.m.
If you are an adult interested in becoming a volunteer, please email the Teen Tech Center Coordinator, Ted Tiffany, at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, contact information, and the area of expertise you would like to share with the youth, or call at 651-504-4464.
Career Pathways Program
Giving youth access to explore interests in technology and build skills for future careers
Today’s employers want to hire people who are prepared for the workplace and know the latest technology. Keystone is expanding our youth job readiness programs to help young people prepare for the world of work. Keystone’s Best Buy Teen Tech Center is offering a new program called the Career Pathways Program. Youth ages 16-19 will have the opportunity to develop technology and work-readiness skills through an interactive and fun training program which culminates in a tech-related internship next summer.
What can youth expect?
The Career Pathways Program will help youth develop two kinds of skills:
- Work readiness skills to prepare youth be a valued and professional employee in any workplace.
- Tech skills training happens at the Teen Tech Center which offers the latest tech tools and adult staff and mentors to help youth explore and learn new tech skills that will impress future employers.
Get involved in the 2018-2019 Career Pathways program
We are currently recruiting youth participants for this new program which will run from November 2018 – August 2019. Read below to learn more about the program and what we expect from youth participating in the program.
Expectations for youth participants:
- From November 2018 to May 2019, regularly participate in training sessions 1-2 times per week
- Work independently and with others on projects and challenges to support skill development
- Complete paid, tech-related summer internship in 2019 (June -August)
- Attend end-of-program celebration in August 2019 and share your feedback on the program
Interested in learning more?
Community Kids Program
Offering Opporunities to Play and Learn
Community Kids is a 21st Century Community Learning Center and an accredited program that serves youth, grades K-10, and their families living, working or attending school in the West 7th neighborhood. Throughout the year, teachers and staff offer a wealth of enrichment options that meet Community Kids participants where they are in their development. In addition to the enrichment activities below, the Community Kids program also offers high-quality academic support and tutoring help.
Enrichment Activities Offered at Community Kids:
- Weekly Second Step lessons that teach empathy, impulse control, problem-solving and emotion management
- Recreation and sports like tennis, soccer, basketball, floor hockey and swimming lessons
- Visual and performing arts such as cultural dance lessons or book arts made possible by the Minnesota State Arts Board
- Field trips to museums, zoos, sporting events and theaters
- Cooking and gardening activities
- Community service and service learning projects
Learn More or Register your Child
Location: West 7th Community Center, 265 Oneida Street, St. Paul
School Year Program Hours: Monday – Friday, 2:15 – 6:00 p.m.
Register your child for Keystone’s Community Kids program. Transportation is limited to eligible youth and families.
We are grateful for financial support which helps us offer enriching opportunities for young people in our Community Kids Program. Some activities are made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Minnesota State Arts Board, thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts and cultural heritage fund.