Being a successful student depends a lot on whether or not young people have the support they need outside of the school day. Keystone’s youth programs ensure that underserved youth are supported by caring adults who want to see young people reach their potential.
Enrichment & Tutoring
Giving Students Opportunities to Build Strong Futures
Community Kids Program
A LEARNING CENTER FOR YOUTH, GRADES K – 10
Community Kids is a 21st Century Community Learning Center and an accredited program that serves youth, grades K-10, and their families living, working or attending school in the West 7th neighborhood. The program is offered Monday-Friday on a year-round basis (after-school and summer schedules differ). At Community Kids, learning is fun, engaging and challenges participants to become curious and confident learners. In addition to academic support and tutoring, Community Kids also offers a variety of enrichment activities to help youth learn and grow.
Supporting Academics in a Variety of Ways
Our key academic supports include:
- An Extended Day Learning partnership with the St. Paul Public Schools to improve student achievement through reading and math instruction twice weekly from licensed teachers, daily homework help and library visits
- A dedicated STEM instructor to prepare Community Kids’ Lego League team for annual competition and to provide hands-on activities for all grades
- Check & Connect to help middle school and high school students maintain regular attendance, homework completion, and stay on track to graduate
- Parent conferences and educational workshops to help families stay informed and learn positive ways to advocate for their child
Teen Tutor Program
A UNIQUE TUTORING MODEL
Keystone’s Teen Tutor Program offers academic tutoring for youth in grades K-5 by paid and trained Teen Tutors. The program is offered at the McDonough Recreation Center and serves youth who live in the McDonough Homes Community in the North End of St. Paul. The Teen Tutor Program model is unique, offering small group tutoring for youth who have been identified as needing additional academic support and tutoring is done by teenagers from the community. Tutors provide both academic and social support to the elementary age youth. Keystone provides intensive training and supervision so that Teen Tutors can successfully provide evidence-based tutoring.
- Tutors are trained to deliver the evidence-based Sonday System, provided by Keystone Business Partner Winsor Learning. The Sonday System is an Orton-Gillingham-based, sequential, and cumulative multisensory language instruction program designed to help English Language Learners fill in gaps in reading.
- Teen Tutors also provide homework help, individual reading support, and offer activities to boost math and social/emotional skills.
- Each Keystone Teen Tutor typically gains 200+ hours of paid work experience and work-readiness training as well as credentialing in an evidence-based literacy program.
Learn More about the Teen Tutor Program
Location: McDonough Recreation Center, 1544 Timberlake Road, St. Paul
School Year Program Hours: Monday – Thursday, 5:30 – 8:00 p.m.
Register today for the Keys to Success Gala!
Gather with your Keystone community, family and friends to bring more food to more tables for our neighbors at the 2023 Keys to Success Gala!